Profiles details page (Do not delete)
Cynthia Peterson, MPH, R.T. (R), RDMS, RVT
Cyndi Peterson MPH, RT, RDMS, RVT
Program Director, Diagnostic Medical Sonography
I have served as the Program Director of the Diagnostic Medical Sonography at Kent State University - Salem Campus since the program began in 2002. I was a member of the first graduating radiologic technology class at Kent - Salem in 1987, and graduated from the Aultman Hospital School of Diagnostic Medical Ultrasound in Canton, Ohio in 1988. I earned a Bachelor of Science in Applied Science in Allied Health degree from Youngstown State University, and a Master of Public Health degree from Kent State University. My capstone/ thesis research for my graduate degree focused on prevention of musculoskeletal injury in sonographers.
I have worked as a staff sonographer and a research sonographer since 1988. I currently remain active clinically as a research sonographer. My clinical and research interests include ultrasound contrast agents, applications of new ultrasound technology, and musculoskeletal injury prevention in the field of sonography. I have presented numerous local and national lectures on various topics in sonography.
I began teaching sonography in a classroom setting in 1991. I teach the majority of courses for the sonography program, as well as the core courses for the Radiologic and Imaging Sciences bachelor degree. I am the primary advisor for the sonography program, so please feel free to contact me of you have questions regarding the program.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Hindi A, Peterson CL, Barr RG. “Artifacts in Diagnostic Ultrasound”. Reports in Medical Imaging 2013; (6) 29–48
- Lackey L, Peterson CL, Barr RG. "Contrast-Enhanced Ultrasound-Guided Radiofrequency Ablation of Renal Tumors" Ultrasound Quarterly 2012; 28(4):1-6
- Peterson CL, Barr RG. “Evaluation of renal pathology with an intravenous ultrasound contrast agent: case studies”, Journal of Diagnostic Medical Sonography 2001; 17(1):29-33.
- Peterson CL, Barr RG. “Contrast enhanced sonography in patients with renal pathology”, Journal of Diagnostic Medical Sonography 2000; 16(3):53-56.
- Hedrick WR, Peterson CL. “Artifacts in real-time imaging”, Journal of Diagnostic Medical Sonography 1995; 11(11):300-308.
- Madden SJ, Peterson CL, Krew MA. “Fetal echocardiography in conjunction with routine obstetric scans”, Journal of Diagnostic Medical Sonography 1994; 10(3): 74-82.
- April 2013. “Non-Cardiac Applications of Ultrasound Contrast Agents”, Northeastern Ohio Ultrasound Society, Cleveland Ohio
- April 2013. “Three of a Kind”, Northeastern Ohio Ultrasound Society, Cleveland Ohio
- April 2012. “Imaging of Fetal Anomalies”, Ohio Society of Radiologic Technologists, Cleveland, Ohio
- March 2012. Physics Quiz Bowl, Ohio Medical Ultrasound Society, Columbus, Ohio,
- October 2009 “Evaluation of the Fetal Central Nervous System”, Northeastern Ohio Ultrasound Society, Cleveland, Ohio,
- April 2009. “Protect Yourself! Sonographer Scanning Practices and Musculoskeletal Injury”, Ohio Medical Ultrasound Society, Columbus, Ohio
- October 2008. “Sectional Anatomy for Radiation Therapists”, Kent State University – Salem Campus Fall Radiology Seminar,
- April 2008 "The Role of Sonography in the Prenatal Diagnosis of Chromosome Abnormalities", Ohio Medical Ultrasound Society, Columbus, Ohio
- October 2007. "Advances in Sonography: Emerging Technologies in Ultrasound", Tri-County Society of Radiologic Technologists, Alliance, Ohio.
- 2012 Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) grant application funded $70,000 for sonography laboratory equipment
- 2001 First place, Kenneth R. Gottesfeld Award for Excellence, SDMS, Las Vegas, Nevada,
- 2000 Cum Laude award (poster exhibit), “Compound Ultrasound Imaging: Principles, Techniques, and Artifacts”, RSNA, Chicago IL
- 2000 Certificate of Merit (poster exhibit), “Pictorial Essay of Liver Pathology with Contrast Enhanced Sonography”, RSNA, Chicago, IL
- 2000 First place, Sonographer Poster Competition, “Detection and Characterization of Gastric Pathology with an Oral Contrast Agent”, SDMS Annual Conference, Dallas, Texas
- 2000 Third place, Scientific Abstract Competition, “Compound Imaging of Breast Lesions”, SDMS Annual Conference, Dallas, Texas September
- 2000 DuPont Contrast Imaging Award, SDMS Annual Conference, Dallas TX
- 2000 Honorable Mention (poster exhibit) “The Use of SonoVue in Evaluation of the Extracranial Carotid Arteries”, AIUM
- 1999 Excellence in Design award (poster exhibit), “Improved Upper Abdominal Sonography: Technical Advances and the Use of Oral Contrast Agents”, RSNA
- 1999 Second place award, Scientific Abstract Presentation, “Effect of Refrigeration on the Efficacy of SonoRx, an Oral Contrast Agent, in Upper Abdominal Imaging”, SDMS 16th Annual Conference, Anaheim, CA
- Member American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM)
- Member Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (SDMS) - previous Conference Management Committee chair and Ohio state representative
- Member Northeastern Ohio Ultrasound Society (NEOUS) –previous Secretary
CONTACT INFOPhone: 330-337-4277
COURSES TEACHINGFall 2013
- RIS 34042 - 500 Abdominal Sonography I
- RIS 34044 - 500 Ultrasound Physics / Instrum
- RIS 34083 - 500 Sectional Anatomy In Med Imag
- RIS 44074 - 500 Vascular Sonography
- RIS 44078 - 500 Sonographic Techniques
- RIS 34052 - 500 Abdominal Sonography Ii
- RIS 34062 - 550 Ob - Gyn Sonography I
- RIS 44083 - 500 Pathophys For Med Imaging
- RIS 44098 - 500 Research In Medical Imaging
- RIS 34065 - 520 Ultrasound Clinical Ed Iii
- RIS 34082 - 560 Small Parts Sonography
- RIS 44072 - 540 Ob - Gyn Sonography Ii
- RIS 44075 - 560 Ultrasound Clinical Ed Iv
- RIS 44084 - 560 Ultrasound Image Evaluation